Friday, June 5, 2009

3rd Day at Work…can you say, pack test?

I just got off for lunch and today has already been the most rewarding and fun day of work. I reported into the office at 730 and worked on the sign in board; making it a little more permanent and professional looking. Then I had to report to the fire station for the “pack test.” The pack test is a 3 mile, 45 minute timed hike, with a 45 lb pack strapped to your back. I was pretty intimidated. 6 of us took the test today and everyone was egging the group on to go faster and faster. It was definitely a case of mind over matter for me. My hips and shins were burning after the first ½ mile. 2.5 miles to go and I was finding myself in the back of the group. A good friend of mine, the fire engine captain, was pacing behind me in a truck. “Doing good Will! Keep it up!” It was probably the most physically challenging test I’ve ever been through. I kept pace by watching the guy’s feet in front of me. The terrain was extremely hilly and the elevation quickly caught up with me as I was ascending the first hill. Luckily I had my ipod to keep me focused. Coming up on the final ½ mile of the hike, “The Distance” by Cake began to play on my ipod. A new burst of energy flowed through my body and I began to speed walk as fast as I could with the finish line in sight. With my eyes focused on the ground and my body leaning forward, I was dropping my hips to gain momentum. Before I knew it, I was passing the only person in front of me....oh and by the way, I was wearing my National Championship t-shirt, and the guy that I passed at the end, happened to be wearing an Ohio State hat ☺. It was a pretty awesome random little act of personification ☺.

I couldn’t have been happier with myself. We all sat around for a little while sipping on water, chatting, laughing. Then I made my way back to the office to check in with my supervisor. The plan for the day was to hike…all day. Man, am I glad I’m not working in an office ☺.

For the rest of the day, Ben and I explored the south end of the park. I showed Ben Rainbow Point and all of the other view points that are outside the main north section of the park. I also made a pit-stop at the Bryce Canyon Lodge to meet the head of the HR department there. I'm going to try and work a few nights/weekends to earn some extra cash on the side.

After exploring a little bit, Ben and I began the most magical, majestic, practically indescribable afternoon/evening of hiking. We began the day at Bryce Point and hiked our way through Peekaboo Loop and Queensland. It's really impossible for me to describe our experience on this hike. Everything was perfect. We came across flowers that bloom only once a year for only 24 hours, sometimes less (the primrose). The night sky swept over us halfway through the hike only to reveal the most incredible night sky either of us had ever seen. "I've never seen the moon so bright." The moon lit up the light portions of the rocks and trails. We had headlamps, but rarely used them. This would be our first ever moonlit hike and an unforgettable one. It brought out the best in both of us. We would chat about the past, present, future while being inspired by the seemingly endless beauty of Bryce Canyon. Our total hike took us about 6 hours. We hiked until we couldn't hike any more.

June, 3 2009 would go down as one of the best days of our lives.

1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed by your excitement....I love your writing but moms are supposed to love everything about their children!
    I can't wait to see new pictures.
    love you so much, mom

    ReplyDelete